Saturday, February 18, 2012

Hawaii - Part 6

Farewell Hawaii!

You can't go to Hawaii without seeing a tall tropical waterfall! Near the end of our stay we visited Akaka Falls State Park and trekked along a walkway to a spectacular waterfall. On the way we passed through a grove of large diameter bamboo, the largest I've ever seen, with individual stalks maybe six to eight inches across!
We passed a smaller waterfall on the way to the biggest waterfall.
Sophie was quite content in her cozy backpack as Ellen labored along the steep walkway.
The large waterfall was spectacular!
A few days later C and I went to Lava Tree State Park not very far from our vacation house. Around 200 years ago a lava flow had overrun a forest. It burned the trees but, apparently, solidified somehow around the ancient tree trunks leaving vertical lava columns where trees once stood. Here are some examples:
Although the lava trees were interesting, the best part of this nearly deserted park was the quiet, peaceful stroll we took around the paved walkway through tropical vegetation.
On our last day before packing to leave we returned to Richardson Beach Park near Hilo with Keegan, Ellen, and Sophie. It was a sunny day to enjoy a black sand beach.
I had always wanted to see a black sand beach. This section had a nice view of the rocky coast.
C and Ellen had a nice chat in one of the warm tidal pools.
While the women talked and Keegan played with Sophie I sat on a bench looking out at this magnificent view:
It was a magical moment for me. No one was near, no unwanted music blaring from radios, no inane jabber on cell phones, no insects, perfect temperature, only the sound of small waves, rustling trees, and mild breezes. Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about! Peace and quiet! I could have stayed there for hours. If I never return to Hawaii, this is the memory I want to keep of my time there.

If I had to rank the four best things about the Hawaii trip, they would be:

First, living with my granddaughter and making friends with her. 
Second, hiking to see molten lava pouring into the ocean. 
Third, visiting the surprising botanical garden with its strange tropical plants.
Fourth, seeing the Southern Cross and Omega Centauri in the southern sky. 
I had a great time!

1 comment:

  1. Nice farewell! I'll miss reliving the trip through our blogs. I am hoping to start working on the Hawaii photos this week, though, so there is more to come.

    ReplyDelete

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon