Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tragic Photo Restored

Unique Picture

Some background is needed to understand the photo restoration at the bottom of this post.

My paternal grandparents, Barbara and Michael, married on November 27, 1905 at the Saint Stanislaus Church in Minersville, Pennsylvania. Michael was then 24 and Barbara was 18. Between 1906 and 1915 they had 5 children.
Four of Barbara and Michael's children. My Dad is on the left.
Michael spent many years working as a coal miner, although he eventually did other work in his later years.
Minersville scene photographed by my Dad in 1947.
Respiratory problems, no doubt related to years of breathing coal dust, eventually caused Michael's death in February, 1927. He was only 46 then. He left behind his wife, Barbara, suddenly a 40-year old widow with 4 teenage children to raise. I've been told Barbara was so overcome with grief she tore up all pictures of herself and Michael. I'm aware of only one surviving picture with the two of them alone together. This picture was torn almost completely in half. Someone taped the back together and saved it. I repaired the tear in the restoration below, but the unfortunate stain and scratches on Barbara's face could not be fixed.

Look at the tear crossing the middle of the original damaged photo. It is the physical embodiment of my grandmother's grief still remaining so many years after her death. (The image below should change back and forth between the original and the restored. If it does not, please click on the image itself, otherwise you will not see the restoration. I don't understand why the image is sometimes properly animated and other times not.)
Barbara and Michael in 1926. (Click for full size)

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the photo. I like to see the difference between the old and restored versions. How do you make the animation?

    ReplyDelete

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon