Monday, November 12, 2012

Late October Solar Tour

Three Image Scales

I was able to observe in wonderful weather on three of the days between October 21st and October 25th. This post shows results from the last day, October 25th.

Begin with an image taken at prime focus. It shows three sunspots as well as a large prominence at the bottom to the left of center.
Bottom to top: Sunspots 1599, 1598, 1596 (Click for full detail.)
Here's a magnified (and vertically flipped) image of the prominence:
Prominence imaged with 2X Barlow lens
Now look at a closer view of the three-sunspot array. This is a 5-image mosaic taken with a 2X Barlow lens:
Bottom to top: Sunspots 1599, 1598, and 1596 (Click for more detail.)
A 3X Barlow lens gives a closer view of the middle sunspot 1598:
Sunspot 1598 (Click for full detail.)
Finally, here is the upper sunspot 1596, also imaged with the 3X Barlow lens:
Sunspot 1596 (Click for full detail.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon