Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Riding The Virginia Blue Ridge Railway Trail

Spring! At Last!

Finally! Finally, after weeks of abnormally cold weather, a fine spring day arrived. With temperatures in the mid-60's on April 1st we decided to explore the Virginia Blue Ridge Railway Trail located near the border of Nelson and Amherst Counties. The trail starts in Piney River next to an old rail station on Route 151.
At the trail head.
After a short distance on pavement the trail became hard-packed, sandy gravel.
Scenes along the first section of the trail.
Some blustery winds pushed us along to a bridge just before crossing Route 674, also called Roses Mill Road.
Interesting old house at Roses Mill Road.
We continued through beautiful country with the Piney River on our left.
The clear Piney River parallels the trail here.
Eventually, the Piney River flows into the Tye River. We crossed over the Tye River just after the two rivers join.
Crossing the Tye River.
The trail then continues through scenic country with the beautiful Tye River on its right.
Just after the 6-mile point we passed under Route 29.
The trail ends after about 6.7 miles where a barrier blocks the way.
C at trail's end.
It's a shame the trail is so short! Behind the barrier it's possible to ride about another quarter mile on rough ground until another barrier appears. Beyond this final barrier is the raised roadbed of an operating rail line. It seems unlikely the trail will ever be extended on this end.

The trail is short, but sweet. Trees were leafless on our ride, so we had good, clear, open views all along the trail. Sometimes the wind strengthened, dark clouds passed overhead, and a few raindrops fell. Sometimes glorious warm sunshine lit wonderful pastoral scenes.
I look forward to exploring more bike trails in the next few months. The High Bridge Trail near Farmville is our next target. We transport our bikes with a new, honking big bike rack.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon