Friday, November 8, 2013

Iceland - Part 4

Mossy Landscape

Compared to countries in the temperate zone Iceland has few forests and hardly any big trees. Instead, Iceland has lots of moss and smaller plants clinging to life in this northern volcanic land. I'm no botanist, but I found the unfamiliar mossy landscapes intriguing. The next three pictures were taken by C on an old lava field.
Moss added color during our hike in the "Green Valley" in Landmannalaugar:
More moss softens volcanic terrain seen during C's hike through a rocky-bottomed valley in the Thorsmork Nature Reserve:
Aside from moss, other plants cling tenaciously to the otherwise barren volcanic land, like this grass growing in black volcanic soil near the coastline.
Or this small cluster of star-like sprouts growing in cracks between volcanic rocks.
Or this little green oasis sitting in a wet, sheltered spot among coastal rocks.
Autumn yellow and red were displayed within many fissures in Thingvellir National Park on a dim, rainy day.
Some grass and small berry-bearing plants were present in this sunny scene at Gluggafoss.
There are trees in Iceland, now carefully tended and preserved, even some evergreens seen in the background in Skogar.
There are lovely birch trees, though often stunted and small as in these pictures, also from Skogar.
On our last full day in Iceland we hiked in the Thorsmork Nature Reserve in a valley protected from harsh weather. Although this area is close to volcanoes and glaciers, it harbors a relatively rich collection of vegetation.
Much of Iceland is barren, nearly lifeless volcanic terrain, but there are also many rich pastures with lush grass for grazing sheep and horses.
Stay tuned for more Iceland pictures in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon