Sunday, November 2, 2014

Sunspot 2192 Movie

Shooting Jet

On October 17th magnificent sunspot 2192 had just emerged around the Sun's eastern limb. After initially recording some video clips for still images I decided to make a time-lapse movie of this highly active region. Beginning at 2:37 pm EDT I recorded one video clip every 60 seconds until the seeing drastically deteriorated at 3:43 pm EDT. From these video clips I produced 67 still frames covering 66 minutes of solar action (from 18:37 to 19:43 UT). The first movie below compresses 66 minutes into 6.6 seconds. I did not enhance the individual still frames. Background noise appears in dark areas, and the disc is overexposed, but this allows more dim limb details to be visible. The full-sized version of this movie is better than the reduced version posted below. Unfortunately, the full-sized version is more than 35 MB! I had to crop and then reduce the cropped movie to half size so it would load and play in a reasonable time. (Be patient while the movies load. If they don't play automatically, try clicking on them.)

Notice the writhing prominence near bottom which seems to rain down onto the limb towards the sunspot. Also, notice the erupting jet of hot gas that shoots out from a white explosion near the sunspot.
While the 66-minute movie was recorded the Sun rotated slightly. The rotation can be noticed in the movie above, but it becomes more obvious in the movie below that shows only the first and last frame of the 66-minute interval.
These movies are the best I've done so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon