Thursday, December 4, 2014

Giant Sunspot Returns

Enormous Spot Lives On

On November 15th observing conditions were not ideal. The afternoon temperature was a chilly 45 degrees. Seeing was poor, and the Sun was low. Nevertheless, it was an opportunity to observe the return of a monumental long-lived sunspot.

Sunspots come and go, but, occasionally, they can last for weeks. Sunspot 2192 ranked among the largest spots observed in recent times. After rotating westward across the Sun's disc for more than a week, it disappeared around the western limb on October 30th. The Sun continued turning, and the spot crossed the Sun's back side for 14 days. It then reappeared on the eastern limb on November 13th. The following 9-image mosaic shows the enduring spot on November 15th. The long-lasting spot had been renumbered as 2209, and appears at lower left.
Huge prominences also appeared on the eastern limb making a dramatic mix of features as shown in the following 6-image mosaic.
Next is a closer view of sunspot 2209 alongside a properly sized image of Earth so you can see how large the spot truly is.
I set up equipment too late this day. The afternoon Sun lost altitude quickly, and increasing clouds destroyed a previously clear sky. This observing session ended after only 31 minutes. It might be my last session for the year now that it's getting too cold for comfortable work with the telescope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon