Thursday, May 14, 2015

Enormous Prominence

Prominences Galore!

On April 23rd a dramatic giant prominence rotated into view on the Sun's eastern limb. Although only two days had passed since my last observing session, I went out again to image the behemoth. It was another windy spring day with gaps between clouds.

The following 5-image mosaic, made with a 2X Barlow lens, shows a huge portion of solar limb occupied by the monumental prominence.
A magnified view shows the mighty prominence itself.
Prominences also graced the Sun's western limb as shown in the following 5-image mosaic. (Click on the images for a larger view.)
Disc features are overexposed in each of the previous images in order to reveal the dim prominences.

I spent a good deal of time this day trying out a new camera and wondering why it wasn't functioning as expected. It finally dawned on me that I inadvertently bought a color camera instead of a monochrome camera! I thought I had purchased a monochrome camera and expected monochrome camera behavior, so I was constantly puzzled by the results I was getting. It makes no sense to use a color camera for hydrogen-alpha solar imaging because solar filters pass only very, very monochromatic red light. I hope to have the correct monochrome camera soon. I'll write about the camera's performance in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon