Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Bad Seeing

Limited Results

On March 18th only a few tiny clouds scattered across a clear sky. The temperature was a comfortable 66 degrees, but wind gusts increased through the afternoon. I got a late start at 2:33 pm. The seeing was particularly bad this day, possibly the worst I've ever seen since moving to Williamsburg. It was hard to achieve good focus because the image on my laptop was so blurry. Consequently, most of my images were very poor quality.

Only one 6-panel mosaic came out reasonably well. It shows sunspot 2519 approaching the western limb with a nice prominence nearby and a couple of modest filaments to the sunspot's left.
Portions of this mosaic are blurry. The sunspot and its umbra lack detail. Spicules on the limb are smeared and indistinct. I hope this extremely bad seeing doesn't continue in the coming warmer months. Perhaps this day was just unusual bad luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon