Saturday, September 9, 2017

Sunspot Surprise

Flaring Spot

During recent months while the Sun approached sunspot cycle minimum I've observed a disappointing lack of dramatic solar features. Just in time for August's solar eclipse, however, two significant sunspots appeared and provided nice background markers for that event. Then, two weeks later, more sunspots blossomed, including two major groups nicely placed near center on the solar disc. What a pleasant surprise! All requirements for good observing lined up on September 4th: clear sky, no wind, temperature in the 70's, and good seeing.

Features were distributed across the entire Sun, so it was worthwhile to attempt a panorama capturing the whole scene. The following image is a 48-panel mosaic showing lots of action. Good seeing conditions prevailed throughout capture of 48 video clips, so this is one of the most detailed mosaics I've been able to construct. Sunspot group 2674 is nearly centered on the disc. Sunspot group 2673, threaded with white energetic emissions, is located to the lower right of center. Some smaller white active regions and a few filaments are scattered about. Two significant prominences are visible, including an enormous one at lower left. (Click on any image below for larger views.)
The next 9-panel mosaic shows an enlarged view of the two major sunspots along with a hook-shaped filament.
Next is an individual close view of sunspot group 2674 with multiple umbras stretched horizontally across the image.
The following enlarged view of sunspot group 2673 shows detail in the energetic white emissions threading through the group.
The white threads were continually changing as I watched for more than two hours. They brightened quickly from time to time when minor flares burst forth saturating the camera as you can see in the image below.
Two days after my observations this area emitted two X-class solar flares, the most powerful type of flare. The second flare was the most powerful to appear in eleven years! Auroras appeared as far south as Virginia and North Carolina, but they were truly spectacular in Norway!

The final image shows a close view of the large, curtain-like prominence hanging above the solar limb.
Since sunspot 2673 was changing rapidly, I decided to record a time lapse video of the action. For two hours, from 10:20 to 12:21 EDT, I recorded one video clip per minute. I hope to eventually assemble the 122 still images into a movie of the flaring activity I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon