Monday, October 2, 2017

Goldilocks Observing

Three Sunspots

Hurricanes have recently passed near my home. Fortunately, they were all safely distant. After hurricane Maria blew out to sea, skies were left clear and cloudless. The cold front responsible for pushing Maria away provided pleasantly cooler weather for observing on September 29th - not too hot, not too cold, just right! It was wonderful to observe in mild 68-degree sunshine with occasional slight breezes.

The first image below is a 27-panel mosaic showing three sunspots, a few filaments, and many prominences scattered around the solar rim. Sunspot numbers from left to right are: 2683, 2682 and 2681.  (Click on images below for larger views.) Although I recorded images for a full disc mosaic, the software I use to combine the images would not properly construct a whole disc mosaic. I had to discard 9 of the original 36 images to form the mosaic shown. There were no significant features on the missing top portion, so the partial disc displayed here shows all the action.
The two largest sunspots are shown in good detail in the following 6-panel mosaic. Enlarge the image and notice subtle shading in the umbra of sunspot 2683 on the left and filaments near sunspot 2682 on the right.
Finally, here is a close view of small sunspot 2681 with neighboring prominences.
Late September and early October usually offer the best observing opportunities at my location. The observing window is about half closed now. I'm glad I got to look out at least once before it closes completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon