Saturday, May 4, 2019

Beaver Dam & Birthday

Bike Ride With Sophie

A nice warm spring afternoon on April 25th was the perfect day to cash in a Christmas gift "coupon" from my granddaughter. This coupon treated me to a bike ride with Sophie, so off we went on the wonderful local bike trail. 
Our destination was a beaver dam near a wooden bridge along the trail. I have passed over this bridge many times, but never noticed the beaver pond until my daughter recently told me about it. Here Sophie stands on the east side of the bridge beside part of the dam.
The dam stretches the entire length of the bridge and beyond. Here's the view along the dam from its eastern edge.
Walking to the other end of the bridge gives the view looking from the west.
On the bridge's western end the dam begins to curve out to the right and continues in a semicircular arc seen in the next panoramic view.
Where are the industrious beavers who built the dam? We didn't see any. They are probably inactive during daylight. Their lodge is visible from the midpoint of the bridge.
This downed tree shows evidence of chewy beaver woodwork.
Apparently, some traps have been set in the area. Are these designed to control the beaver population, or to trap beaver predators? I don't know.
After our nice bike ride, Sophie and I joined her sister, Annabelle, and her Mom for an informal picnic celebration of Annabelle's 6th birthday. Annabelle really enjoyed listening to squeaky sounds on this swing with her Mom.
Sophie and Annabelle had a pleasant evening of fun after the picnic at the local playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon