Thursday, April 29, 2021

Old College Pictures

More Photo Restorations

I have some old historic photos from Randolph Macon Woman's College where I taught for most of my career. It was fun to colorize and enhance scenes from more than a hundred years ago. For example, here's a restored image of the 1897 graduating class.

The next animation shows stages of restoration from the original damaged black and white photo to the final enhanced colorized product.

Final restoration quality depends on original source photo quality. Sometimes the original is slightly out of focus, or the scan into digital form isn't very good. For example, restoration of the 1901 basketball team picture didn't turn out as well as the 1897 image above. Faces seem fuzzier, and smudges on the original aren't completely removed.

Here's the restoration animation.

This picture, showing an art class of the same era, was also a bit fuzzy.
The restoration animation shows blemish removal.The next colorized photo shows the original college faculty. William Waugh Smith, the college's founder, is front and center. The college science building is named after Fernando Wood Martin who is the second man to the right of Smith.
The original small college observatory, Winfree Observatory, was located on the front of campus approximately where Smith Hall is located today.
Later, in 1923, Winfree Observatory was moved to its present location. This colorized picture from 1954 shows the original 6-inch Brashear refractor on its original metal pier containing a mechanical clock drive.
Color really brings old photos to life! 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon