Thursday, August 4, 2011

Prominences

Gas Clouds On The Solar Rim

Here are two final images from my August 1 observing session. It took extra time to process these since there is a huge difference in brightness between the solar disk and the glowing gas hanging above the solar rim.


I have blacked out the drastically overexposed solar disk and added red color to approximate the visual appearance of the prominences.
Some solar prominences on August 1. (Click for full detail.)
View of the rim opposite the one shown in the image above. (Click for full detail.)

1 comment:

  1. I love these - they are like abstract art. You could hang them on the wall.

    ReplyDelete

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon