Thursday, December 6, 2012

Improved Mosaics - Part 2

Better, But Still Not Perfect

This is the second post about mosaic construction using Autostich. Twelve images taken on August 2, 2012 were combined into the following incomplete portrait of the solar disk showing a nice display of sunspots and filaments.
The full-sized version of this image is 3864 pixels wide by 2638 pixels high! The inverted version below highlights cloud-like filaments.
It's obvious I could not capture a full disk mosaic on August 2. By September 23, however, using my new, precise telescope mount, I was able to make a nearly complete disk image. Here is a 22-image mosaic from September 23rd. The full-sized image is 4047 pixels wide by 4186 pixels high!
The blending in this image isn't perfect, but it's a BIG improvement over the following patchwork with no blending.
Finally, here is the inverted version of the September 23rd mosaic:
I'm irked by the three missing notches on the Sun's rim. I was a little careless with telescope movement while capturing the final few images. But I'm now ready to make highly detailed full-disk images as soon as the next observing season starts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon