Sunday, May 5, 2013

Riding the High Bridge Trail - Part 2

A Hectic Day

We recently rode the first half of the High Bridge Trail near Farmville, VA. On April 24th the weather was warm and sunny, and we decided to complete the second half of the trail. Our journey began in Farmville where the trail intersects Main Street. A free municipal parking lot was convenient nearby, and clean, modern rest rooms were available across the street. The next two images show the starting point of our trip and the mileage marker just beyond the start.
Very soon after leaving Main Street we came upon this wooden bridge crossing the sunlit Appomattox River.
During the early miles we pedaled through pleasant woods and fresh, green, spring foliage. We passed an old brick house, named Rice, dating from 1840.
Soon we approached the structure that gives the trail its name: the .45 mile-long High Bridge. (Click on the image of the sign below if you have trouble reading the information on the right side of the sign.)
Two views along the High Bridge:
The High Bridge passes above surrounding trees. Here's one view of the countryside from the bridge. Cross winds were quite strong while we rode over the bridge.
The High Bridge spans the Appomattox River. This relatively modest river, seen below, hardly seems worthy of such a huge bridge.
About 3 miles after the High Bridge we crossed above Route 460 on this fenced bridge.
Not long after crossing Route 460 the trail intersects Rice Depot Road. We saw some interesting old buildings there. The end of the trail is 6.8 miles from Rice Depot.
Then it was time for a banana break at this picnic table about 9.8 miles from the start.
After the banana break C turned around and began pedaling back to Farmville. I continued on toward the end of the trail. At first, I encountered a long straight section. Then I passed through a gap between rocks.
As the trail's end neared I came upon this tree blocking the way.
The eastern end of the trail was just visible, only about 200 yards beyond the downed tree, where an overgrown rocky mound of earth marked the end. There was no way to bike beyond this barrier.
I climbed up the small path to the top of the mound, and was greeted with this view of receding tracks.
Now, at this turn around point, it was 14.8 miles back to Farmville. Earlier in the ride we learned my daughter was about to give birth to my second grandchild. I was anxious to finish the ride and get ready for a trip to the hospital in Richmond where the delivery was imminent. I normally like to cruise along slowly on trail rides, but I pedaled back to Farmville was as fast as I could. In less than an hour I arrived, exhausted, in Farmville after a round trip of 29.6 miles.

After a quick lunch in Farmville we drove back to Lynchburg, packed hastily, ate a hurried supper, and drove to Richmond. There we learned the baby wouldn't be born until the next day. So we drove on to Williamsburg to spend the night. It was a long and hectic day with lots of time on the road. Our granddaughter, Annabelle, was born on April 25th! Here she is!
I now have two granddaughters! Here tiny Annabelle is carefully held by her big sister, Sophie. I wonder what Sophie's active little mind is thinking!

1 comment:

  1. I saw the picture of Annabelle before I read what you wrote, so I thought you found a baby on the trail!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon