Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sunny Mother's Day

A Sprinkling of Sunspots

May 12th, Mother's Day, was sunny, dry, and breezy. Several sunspots were scattered across the Sun as shown in the following 5-image mosaic made with a 2X Barlow lens.
(Click for full detail.)
The next image is a closer look at the biggest sunspot, 1745, which appears at the upper left in the image above. Smaller spot pair 1744 is seen at lower right in the image below.
(Click for full detail.)
Sunspot 1746 had a small outburst above it.
(Click for full detail.)
Two nice large prominences were also visible on the Sun's western limb. This one had a dark filament to its left.
(Click for full detail.)
A bit further around the southwestern limb was a second large prominence shown here in bright yellow.
(Click for full detail.)
Many images from this observing session were poor in quality, partly due to bad seeing. I also noticed tracking problems due to the initial poor telescope mount alignment. My driveway was recently paved, and my carefully positioned tripod placement marks were paved over. Although I used the compass feature on my smart phone to initially align my tripod north-south, apparently, this alignment was several degrees off true north. So there was more drifting than usual during my video imaging segments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon