Sunday, October 13, 2013

Nighttime Neighborhood

Night Sky From Home

A few weeks ago, before our trip to view the aurora in Iceland, I began testing my camera for night sky photography. First, I discovered the camera did not focus at infinity as expected when the focus ring was turned all the way clockwise (when seen from behind). I need to nudge the focus ring twice slightly counterclockwise in order to have star images appear sharp.

Once the focus issue was resolved, I tried different exposure times to see when star trailing due to Earth's rotation would become apparent. With my 18-55 mm lens set at the smallest focal length for the widest view, I discovered hardly any star trailing during a 30-second exposure. So with an ISO setting of 1600 and exposures of 30 seconds, I should have no trouble capturing pictures of the aurora with stars in the background.

My neighborhood is not astronomy friendly. Glaring street lights, porch lights, and carport lights are everywhere. I walked up my street to a spot where trees block some lights. It can be relatively dark if I'm lucky enough to find a time when no house lights are on. For my first image I wasn't lucky. In the picture below you can see Ursa Major, the Big Dipper, framed between trees. Ursa Minor, the Little Dipper, is in the upper right. A strong, glaring carport light is partially blocked by trees during this 30-second exposure.
The next picture is also a 30-second exposure, but this time the carport light had been turned off. I also raised the camera a bit.
Quickly taking advantage of the extinguished carport light, I turned to my left to photograph the "teapot" of Sagittarius framed nicely at the bottom of the "V" between trees. Parts of the Milky Way, hazy and cloud-like, can actually be seen rising vertically to the right of the "teapot" in the following 30-second exposure.
I walked a few meters to my left where more lights were visible and Sagittarius looked like this with a 30-second exposure.
A 20-second exposure from the same location darkened the scene slightly.
In future posts I'll show how much more is revealed under darker Icelandic skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon