Monday, October 7, 2013

Spotless Sun

Well, Almost Spotless

Sunspots were rare in September. On September 14th the Sun looked almost blank in white light, with only one tiny, inconspicuous sunspot visible. Fortunately, more details can be seen in the narrow spectral band of my solar telescope.

When a beautifully clear, cool, low humidity day comes along at this time of year, it's an opportunity for comfortable solar observing that I can't pass up, even if there are no interesting sunspots. So I imaged some filaments and prominences and enjoyed the weather. The first image below is a 19-image mosaic, made with a 2X Barlow lens. It shows the southern hemisphere of the solar disc. Solitary sunspot 1841 is a dark dot left of center. Some nice filaments are visible.
Click for more detail.
The next picture, a 12-image mosaic, shows filaments on display in the middle of the solar disc.
The inverted version of the previous image is next. The filament at the bottom right exhibits a nice "float".
The Sun's western half had the most features, including two nice prominences displayed near the top of this 6-image mosaic.
Here are the two prominences in yellow.
I hope to see more sunspots soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon