Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Back in Business

New Routine

More than three weeks had passed since my last observing session. Almost every day had been cloudy, and the Sun had been mostly blank. Finally, on the morning of June 29th, conditions improved. The temperature was just below 80 degrees, the sky was clear, and there was no wind. That's about as good as it ever gets at this time of year.

On this rare day I continued trying to remove annoying interference fringes from images produced by my new camera. Flat fields removed vertical interference fringes, but made oval fringes worse. A tilt adjuster removed oval fringes, but didn't remove vertical fringes. Obviously, I needed both a flat field and a tilt adjuster. This combination worked! All interference fringes disappeared! So, finally, I can establish a routine for successful imaging with my new camera.

Only the Sun's eastern edge had interesting features this day. Other parts of the Sun were mostly blank. The following image is a 7-panel mosaic made with a 5X Barlow lens. It shows nice prominences on the eastern limb along with solitary sunspot 2373 which had just rotated into view.
The inverted version of the previous image highlights some pretty cloud-like filaments.
Finally, here's a close up of the prominence on the southeastern limb.
From now on I'll use a tilt adjuster and a flat field during every session. I'll also experiment with exposure times to find the best values. Observing conditions are usually horrible during July and August, however. Even when a rare cloud free day comes along it's hard to concentrate in 95 degree heat with high humidity.


No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon