Wednesday, July 1, 2015

New Binocular Eyepiece

Awesome 3D Views

During my April visit to the Northeast Astronomy Forum I saw an incredible view of the Sun through a binocular eyepiece. That experience convinced me to get a binoviewer for myself.

My new Denkmeier binocular eyepiece arrived recently. It's an exquisite piece of optical equipment! I had a chance to use it for the first time on May 5th.The first two pictures below show how the binocular viewer replaces an ordinary single-barrel eyepiece at the back of my telescope.
Two identical 21 mm eyepieces go into the binocular viewer. 
Two sliding handles behind the main body of the binocular allow an observer to insert different lenses into the light path to achieve three different magnifying powers.
Viewing with two eyes is a definite improvement over single eye viewing. The Sun takes on a three-dimensional character when seen simultaneously with both eyes. The image appears clearer, with more depth, and details seem easier to see. 

At lowest magnification the whole Sun nearly fills the field of view. The view is magnificent! Sunspots, filaments, active areas, and prominences are packed into an all-encompassing knock your socks off view. I can't believe I'm seeing this stuff from my own back yard! I want to grab my neighbors and say, "Check this out!" The views should be even more impressive when I eventually get a double stacked system.

Higher magnifications also work well, although the entire Sun no longer fits in the field of view. With higher magnification moving the telescope slowly is like flying over the solar surface on a sightseeing tour where individual magnified features can be examined in more detail.

1 comment:

  1. You must be so inspired after the visit in Northeast Astronomy Forum that you decided to buy your own binocular eyepiece. The features are really impressive especially on the higher magnification specs. With that, I guess that you can now enjoy your extraterrestrial sightseeing activities more. I'll be glad to know more about your findings, Tom! :)

    Sherita @ Astute Promotions

    ReplyDelete

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon