Friday, August 14, 2015

Battling Clouds

Losing Battle

The first major sunspot in weeks was well placed for viewing on August 9th. Unfortunately, the sky was filled with fair weather clouds. It seemed that observing might be possible through gaps between clouds, so I took a chance and set up my equipment. I managed to capture only six video clips before a huge cloud covered the Sun. This cloud refused to move. Soon the number of clouds increased. At that point I realized the battle was lost and it was time to pack up the equipment.

I had only ten minutes of cloud-free viewing time, but it was enough to capture large sunspot 2396. The following image, made with a 5X Barlow lens, has been processed to show different shades of darkness within the biggest sunspot umbra. A number of small umbras and complex structures are seen to the left of the major umbra. (Click on the images for a larger view.)
The next image is a cropped 3-panel mosaic of a slightly wider region surrounding the big sunspot. This picture has been processed to darken the smaller umbras.
The temperature increased from 86 to 88 degrees while I battled clouds. So much sweat poured down onto note papers that I needed a towel to dry off! Heat exhausts me. I'm looking forward to cooler days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon