Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Departing Sunspots

Afternoon Session

My last solar imaging session was months ago in October!  Thereafter, most days were cloudy, or too cold, or too windy. Finally, on February 18th, a clear day arrived without strong wind or freezing temperature. I waited for afternoon to let temperature rise into the mid-40's and began imaging at 1:45 pm EST. Seeing was mediocre. There were no dramatic prominences, and most sunspots were located in the Sun's western hemisphere where they were destined to depart in the next few days by rotating out of view. The first image below is a 12-panel mosaic showing features in the western hemisphere.

Four sunspots are visible above. The most prominent one is sunspot 3226 in the northwest quadrant. In the southwest quadrant, from left to right, are sunspots 3220, 3217, and 3225. A few dark filaments appear on the disc.

Major sunspot 3226 with a light bridge across the umbra shows up well in the next close image. View it at 100 percent to see all the detail present.

Sunspots 3220, 3217, and 3225 also look nicely detailed when viewed at 100 percent in the following image of the southwest quadrant.
Sunspot 3217 is accompanied by a fan-shaped filament. Sunspot 3225 is closest to the limb where its neighboring white energetic region will rotate out of sight before the following umbra. Sunspot 3220, on the left, has a single umbra.

One other sunspot of note, 3229, was in the eastern hemisphere. It had emitted a powerful X-class solar flare just a day or two before. On February 18th, however, it appeared like this:

Evidence of 3229's eruptive nature remains in the image above. A dark filament arches above a white active area to the left of the umbra. Shooting straight up are narrow spiky eruptions emerging from the left-most white energetic area. View the image at 100 percent to see this best.

These images turned out remarkably well in spite of sometimes unsteady afternoon seeing. All images were made by stacking the best 400 frames from 4,000-frame videos.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon