Thursday, March 23, 2023

Magnetic Tensegrity Table

Nice Physics Showpiece!

I recently discovered a new physics toy to add to my collection. The beautiful Magnetic Tensegrity Table is shown below. It's made in Britain and comes unassembled in a small box.

The height is about 5 inches, just under 13 centimeters. Many parts and screws were extremely small. They challenged my diminished dexterity during assembly. But the assembly instructions were excellent! In fact, I've never seen a better illustrated, clearly worded, step by step assembly guide!

So how does it work? Three vertical wires evenly spaced around the edges of the circular base and top are under tension. The wires can't support a load by compression, so they are not supporting the top. The small powerful magnets suspended by hooks are attracting each other and would seem to draw the red top and base together. So how does the top stay up?

The curved silver magnet supports are the key. Look at the upper magnet. It is pulled down by the attraction of the magnet below. The downward force on the upper magnet presses its (left) silver support down onto the red base. Now look at the bottom magnet. It is pulled up by the attraction of the magnet above. The upward force on the bottom magnet presses its (right) silver support up against the red top. So the base is pushed down while the top is pushed up! That's why the wires are under tension!

There's enough lift on the top to support extra weight. The next picture shows a 200 gram mass resting on the table top! 

The manufacturer suggested the table would hold up to about 260 grams before collapsing. I foolishly tried 300 grams, and, yes, the whole thing collapsed! It wasn't easy to separate the magnets and reassemble the table, but, after an hour or so, I eventually succeeded. I'll stick to the 200 gram mass from now on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
When I say that I'm o.k. well they look at me kind of strange
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go

John Lennon